ACT Now! Unite to End Racism – A Clarion Call
The time is now! The National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA (NCC) and our partners are committed to eradicating the entrenched racism that grips the United States and paralyzes our ability to see every human being as equal. Together, we confront this systemic evil in which Christians and church institutions and policies are complicit and complacent in addressing this global problem. We challenge ourselves and our communities to join in truth-telling leading to actions that right the wrongs, and, with God’s grace, bring healing and wholeness to all people, and unity to the nation.
April 3-5 is only the beginning. Our #rally2endracism is the launch of a comprehensive, multi-year program to address racism in our nation.
Our commitment is to awaken to the trauma of racism and the legacy of white privilege in the United States through self-evaluation and institutional assessment of embedded racism; to confront racism and white privilege through disciplined truth-telling coupled with strategies in the areas of church life and practices, criminal justice, economic justice, social justice, media, civil and human rights, environmental justice, education; and thus transform the hearts, minds, and behaviors of people and institutions.
Measures of success include:
- NCC member churches, communities, and institutions conducting assessments
- Churches undertaking action items
- Change in behaviors, policies, and representation in the Church and communities (what changes?)
- Policy and Legislation work that addresses the manifestation in policing and the criminal justice system
- Changes in institutional behaviors as it relates to criminalization based on race
Our full platform that outlines this comprehensive plan to end racism will be announced in the days ahead. Check back regularly.